Monday, February 2, 2009

Proud to be from Lubbock

Tonight, after a day of just chilling out and taking a nap and "blurking" I found this video on a blog of a girl who married a guy I graduated high school with, and I just felt I had to share it here.

I was born in Lubbock, Texas at Methodist Hospital (way way before it became Covenant and Methodist and St. Mary's merged together under the corporate name Covenant.)

I was raised on the southern almost outskirts of Lubbock, 12 blocks away from the city limit sign, and went to Lubbock Cooper ISD my whole life; kindergarten through my senior year of high school.

My friends and I were bored at times, we always complained that there was nothing to do in Lubbock.
I suppose there really isn't if you're not able to drive yourself around, or aren't old enough to get into the "cool" places.

When you live in Lubbock, born and raised, I think there is a period of time that you wonder what the big city (Dallas or Houston) will be like, and you want nothing more to get out of the supposed "one horse town" that Lubbock sometimes seems like it is.

I spent 18 years trying to get out. LOL!
I finally moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico when I was 18, and while I feel there is no other place like the Duke City, and would love to go back and live again someday, I moved back to Lubbock to marry my high school sweetheart.
That didn't work out, and I moved out to Dallas to stay with my parents for a while, where I worked and lived in the DFW metroplex until I started driving a truck and got to see other places on my own as well.

I lived in Kansas for almost two years, and while the Kansas City area had some good things about it, it definitely wasn't somewhere that ended up me calling it "HOME" forever.

I moved back to Dallas in 2006, and have been so glad to be back in Texas since then.

I used to think, "Gosh, I pity the people from Lubbock who will never leave", and sometimes I still do.

Take it from someone who was born and raised in a smaller city like Lubbock, who got out on her own and saw the world to know what it's like to really kinda appreciate the roots she was grown from.

I still kinda pity the people who will never leave Lubbock, even for a weekend trip to Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio etc.
But then I realize that these people are simply just happy living in a town where you can get from one side to the other, with traffic lights in about 25 minutes flat.
I realize now that Lubbock is big enough for someone to remain anonymous, yet small enough to run into AT LEAST one person you know at the mall, or at the grocery store, or in public.

I'm happy I'm in Dallas now, and probably wouldn't trade it for anything or anywhere (well, except Albuquerque) unless a really good job was waiting for me there, but I am happy that I was raised in a place like Lubbock.

All my life I wanted to attend Texas Tech, and even have, in my possession an acceptance letter from them dated March 1999, and would probably stayed in Lubbock had I been allowed to attend Tech.
I am proud of my Red Raiders!

I am proud to have met some of my best friends in Lubbock, and while a few of us are long gone, the friendship isn't, and I'm thankful I had Lubbock to help me make those friends.

So...here's the video...
It highlights some of the area industries, talent and just the general South Plains area....
Enjoy!




2 comments:

AMBER C said...

I don't think I will ever leave Lubbock. You kind of get use to having nothing to do, or you just make something up. HA! There's nothing like Texas Tech football fans, for sure. Go Raiders!

Unknown said...

I love the big L. Ben and I almost had to leave when Madelyn was 6mths, b/c of job offers, I am so thankful God kept us here. Dallas always seems so appealing until I have been there for a few days, then I am ready for Lubbock again.